Skip to main content

Chapter 1.6 - A New Arrival

Amber had been very busy preparing for the arrival of her baby. She had been going to pre-natal classes, where she often felt completely alienated by these lovey-dovey couples doting over the woman's swollen tummy, talking about all the things they were enjoying about the pregnancy, all the things they were looking forward to when the baby was born, how perfect their darling unborn babies are. Amber felt like they were just dreaming that everything was going to be perfect, nobody's life is that perfect. She just focused on herself, trying to ignore the midwife's instructions that involved "Now, Daddies, help the Mummy....". Amber was going to do this alone. She didn't want any of this silly, lovey-dovey, eyes-glazed-over, "togetherness". Not with Ayden anyway.


Amber sighed as she signed the cheques to pay off the bills. This was the last of her money, maternity leave wasn't giving her much in the way of money (she should have been promoted again by now, but hadn't been working), and she had spent so much on furnishing the baby's room that it left her bank rather empty.
"This baby has cost me so much and isn't even here yet!" Amber thought to herself, "How am I ever going to afford everything once it is actually here?"
She had no idea what was going to happen once the baby was here. She had brought so much stuff, she hoped it would be enough to last her. From nappies to onesies, from bottles to dummies, she just hoped that it was all enough.
Everything was completely stocked up, "What if I've missed something? There is so much that I need, and I am doing this alone...What if I am not enough for this child?" Amber couldn't help but doubt herself. "Can I provide for my baby? What sort of mother does a professional criminal make? What about careers days at school? How do I explain to my child what I do for a living?"
So many thoughts went through her head. So many worries. She had tried to prepare, but this was something that she still felt she wasn't ready for.

It wasn't just the self doubt, or the fear of raising this child alone. The constant phone calls and propositions from Ayden weren't helping Amber's resolve.
He had called so many times saying he wanted a place in this child's life, that he was going to help her, they could live together and raise this child together.
Amber started to fall in love, not with Ayden, but with the idea of a wholesome, two parent family, with enough money to really provide for this child.
"But that's exactly what my childhood was...and look how much it helped me..." Amber would remind herself. She needed to do this alone.
Ayden was relentless, letters, texts, calls he seemed to be doing anything he could to be involved. Amber was almost close to giving in, when Ayden suggested something so preposterous that Amber's resolve tightened like a knot that would never ever be undone again.
"MARRY YOU!?!?!? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND AYDEN?" Amber was trying hard not to laugh.
"Because I don't love you, and you don't love me. It wouldn't be right! Being together, unhappy, just because we have a child? It's wrong! Is that really what you want our child to think life is like?"
Ayden didn't understand her side of this at all. He was so traditional, he thought a child being raised by a single parent was something to be ashamed of.
"Ayden...there's also the other thing. The thing you're not telling me. So many strange things are happening, and it all started once I met you. I don't want my child around all this unexplainable stuff, so unless you want to tell me what the hell is going on, you will have nothing to do with me, or this child!"
And with that she hung up the phone and switched it off.

"Oh Simon, what are we going to do?" Amber said as she stroked her kitten's fluffy head and gave him a scratch behind the ears.
Simon purred.
"I wish I could be as care-free and laid back as you can Simon." Amber laughed at the idea of being able to spend the whole day eating, sleeping and chasing things. Seemed like such a simple life.
"Why can't I be a cat?" she whispered the ridiculous thought.
"At least Simon is pretty easy to take care of, he mostly takes care of himself as long as I keep the food bowl full!" Amber thought, "I don't think a baby will be so simple!"

Amber knew her time was near, she was just making sure everything was in place for when the baby got here. Boy or girl? She still didn't know. She was starting to second guess all the yellow stuff she had brought. Maybe it wasn't too... a sudden pain shook Amber out of her train of thought
"Oh no!"
A contraction
"Oh dear God no!"
Her legs were suddenly wet.
"Not now!" Amber thought "I'm not ready!"
Her waters had broken and it wasn't long before the contractions started getting worse. Amber fumbled with her phone, trying to turn it on, she needed to get to the hospital.
"Come on.....come on......come on" Amber said between breaths.
The phone wasn't turning on.
Another contraction.
She dropped the phone, she didn't feel like she could bend over right now to pick it up.
"WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???" Amber panicked. She was going to give birth in her house, it wasn't the worst place to give birth but it was definitely not on the top of her list for places to do this.

A few hours later, a shaking, sweating exhausted Amanda finally gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.
"What am I going to call you?" Amber whispered, as she held her baby close to her chest.
She hadn't even thought of what to call the baby. And her tired mind right now couldn't think of a single name.
Holding her daughter close, she sat on the sofa and fell asleep.

____________________________________________________
I have rolled for generation 2.
This child is going to be my heir.

Comments

  1. Oh Amber, you had 9 months to think of a name! :-D
    Do you like your generation 2 rolls? I'm always a bit bummed out when I roll 1 child, I like big families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I just want to keep you all in suspense. I know most of you will hate me for not naming her straight away xD
      I don't mind having a small roll, it makes picking the heir easier lol, but I would prefer 2/3 children per generation tbh.

      Delete
  2. Yay, baby! While it'll make things more difficult, I think it's good that Amber is sticking to her principles. Ayden doesn't seem like he's the right one for her. She'll figure things out on her own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name her Dinah. Dinah Dark. >:3 It just sounds cool.

    Ayden really shouldn't be proposing without explaining things, but also if he's so traditional why did just jump right in bed with her? (Or did they have more dates that I didn't see?) But him cleaning up NOTHING the next morning makes perfect sense then. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will bear that name in mind. I have already got the names for both children from this generation though xD

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I wouldn't wanna marry Ayden either. XD Though I bet he makes interesting babies!

    I've we're throwing out random baby names, how about Beatrix? That's my guess. >:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good that Amber's sticking to her guns with Ayden. Although I don't think he would be the type to attend prenatal classes with the mother anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayden is so annoying! Amber is totally right, they shouldn't get married just because of his values rather than a happy relationship. Hopefully Amber might meet someone nicer than him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment